Carnell originally belonged to the Wallace family, ancestors of the present owners, for whom the original 16th Century Towerhouse was built. The property was extended in 1843 and over the years the house has been tastefully modernised to cater for the most discerning of guests. The estate sits amidst 2000 acres of prime agricultural land and the Mansion House itself is surrounded by extensive parkland and mature gardens. The main feature of the park is the Lime Tree Avenue, which has been planted to represent the two Scottish Squares at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743, complete with the two officers on either side.

Carnell is an ideal venue for all types of private parties and conferences. There is a full-time staff and wherever possible, produce from the estate is used including lamb, beef, game, salmon, fresh fruit and vegetables from the garden. Also, seafood is available from Ayr Market daily.

Carnell has a walled garden, which was constructed in 1843. The Rock Garden was laid out in two acres on a bank to the south east of which was a small lime quarry until 1906 when it was filled in and the peninsulas and islands which still remain today were formed.

The area to the north of the walled garden has been planted with some ornamental trees, including a particularly fine cut-leaf beech, a copper beech and some old Scotch firs 'The Three Sisters', which are thought to date from the same period as the house.

Carnell is let on a fully catered basis for up to 22 people.

Accommodation for 22.
Edinburgh - 90 minutes.
Glasgow - 40 minutes.